Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Decieve a Webfilter With a URL Shortner


This is not foolproof but I have had it get me out of a jam... Sometimes I will have a web filter that is blocking me from downloading something like an admin/security tool and I either don't have access to the web filter appliance or am tired of trying to make the web filter appliance behave. (They can be really finicky, sometimes!!) One trick I have found that has helped me out when I am in a big hurry is to download a file is to use a URL shortner. Strangely enough, I've seen multiple brands of web filter appliances that weren't smart enough to deal with this. What I will do is simply copy the actual download URL to the file and put it in something like tinyurl.com. Then I use the new URL and quite often, the web filter lets it get by! Joy!

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant! Thanks for the tip- I've needed this before, but never thought of it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Spammy/foul language comments or those with an explicit avatar will be tossed in a 55 gallon drum and a match thrown in after them. (Oooo, now I can warm my hands!!)